In Florida, you need to have your boat legally registered and titled in the state to take it in public waters. We have a simple guide for you to find out if you need the title, and what you need to do to get it.
Florida Boat Title Exemptions
If you’re lucky, you don’t need to title your boat at all. If your boat meets the following criteria, you can forget about getting it titled - you’re off the hook.
- Boats that are not powered by a motor and are less than 16 feet in length.
- Boats that already possess federal documentation.
- Boats owned by any entity of the U.S. government.
- Boats only used on private lakes and ponds.
- Boats that are not used in Florida public waters for more than 90 consecutive days.
- Amphibious boats.
- Boats documented with the U.S. Coast Guard or already registered in another state with a federally approved number and that has been used in Florida waters for 90 days or less.
How to Get a Boat Title Quicly
You bought the boat, and you can’t wait to solo on the water. Did you purchase it new or used? Either way, only have 30 days from the date of purchase to get the title.
Titling a New Boat
If your boat is new, there are a few documents you’ll need to have ready. Here’s what you need:
- Proof of ownership documents such as a manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, a dealer's Bill of Sale, or an official statement of the vessel's builder.
- A completed application for a boat title.
- Payment of boat titling fees.
You’ll also need the following:
- A completed application for a vessel title, only available in person at the license plate agent's office or the county's tax collector's office, payment for applicable boat titling fees, and the boat's title signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Titling a Used Boat
-Bill of Sale
-Previous Boat Title
If the boat comes from a state that doesn't issue titles, you must provide the current registration for that state and a completed bill of sale.
You can get help filing these documents easily and quickly from Auto Tags of Florida. We can help you get your boat titled in as little as 24 hours. Contact us today to get the process started!